We are dedicated to improving the lives of people impacted by diabetes through research, education, and clinical care.
Sansum Diabetes Research Institute (SDRI) in Santa Barbara, California, is a global leader in diabetes research. SDRI has been on the cutting edge of diabetes research, education, and clinical care since our founding in 1944 by Dr. William Sansum, the first U.S. physician to manufacture and administer insulin in the treatment of diabetes.
With an established world class reputation for innovation in the field of type 1 diabetes including the artificial pancreas system and diabetes in pregnancy, SDRI is broadening its area of expertise to address a range of issues in type 2 diabetes in an effort to address this growing epidemic.
- 34.2 million people of all ages—or 10.5% of the US population—had diabetes.
- 34.1 million adults aged 18 years or older—or 13.0% of all US adults—had diabetes
- More than 88 million US adults—over a third—have prediabetes, and more than 84% of them don’t know they have it.
- Medical costs and lost work and wages for people with diagnosed diabetes total $327 billion yearly.
- Type 2 diabetes accounts for approximately 90% to 95% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes; type 1 diabetes accounts for approximately 5-10%.
CDC National Diabetes Statistics
Read Our Latest News
SDRI GIVES A REASON FOR HOPE IN 2021 ANNUAL REPORT SDRI Features Important Work in Diabetes Research Sansum Diabetes Research Institute (SDRI) released its 2021 Annual Report that highlights its...
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - It's a historic day for Santa Barbara and for the history of diabetes. 100 years ago today, local doctor William Sansum became the first U.S. physician to manufacture and...
SDRI Celebrates 100 Year Milestone of Life-Saving Insulin Dr. Sansum made history on May 31, 1922 – saving millions of lives! May 31, 1922, marked a monumental day in diabetes history, when Dr....