We are dedicated to improving the lives of people impacted by diabetes through research, education, and clinical care.
Sansum Diabetes Research Institute (SDRI) in Santa Barbara, California, is a global leader in diabetes research. SDRI has been on the cutting edge of diabetes research, education, and clinical care since our founding in 1944 by Dr. William Sansum, the first U.S. physician to manufacture and administer insulin in the treatment of diabetes.
With an established world class reputation for innovation in the field of type 1 diabetes including the artificial pancreas system and diabetes in pregnancy, SDRI is broadening its area of expertise to address a range of issues in type 2 diabetes in an effort to address this growing epidemic.
- 34.2 million people of all ages—or 10.5% of the US population—had diabetes.
- 34.1 million adults aged 18 years or older—or 13.0% of all US adults—had diabetes
- More than 88 million US adults—over a third—have prediabetes, and more than 84% of them don’t know they have it.
- Medical costs and lost work and wages for people with diagnosed diabetes total $327 billion yearly.
- Type 2 diabetes accounts for approximately 90% to 95% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes; type 1 diabetes accounts for approximately 5-10%.
CDC National Diabetes Statistics
Read Our Latest News
SDRI CELEBRATES 100 YEARS OF LIFE-SAVING INSULIN Dr. Sansum established Santa Barbara as the epicenter of diabetes research Sansum Diabetes Research Institute (SDRI) is celebrating 100 years of...
SDRI recently published an important article dealing with race and healthcare in America today in EClinicalMedicinie/The Lancet, co-authors include SDRI's Dr. David Kerr, Director of Research and...
Learn more about what Sansum Diabetes Research Institute has been up to this month!